John 5:22

 9/12/11

Hey family

 So this week was slightly better. But yeah mom i did by the shoes that i was telling you about. So now i am fine with everything. Anyway about the same couple that i was talking to you guys about last week. We had a really good lesson with them last night. We were kind of worried though because Janette the mom, Marcela and Osiris didn't go to church yesterday so we were really worried about them. we passed by at night, and the second we get in the door. Miguel starts going off again on his wife about how it was basically worthless her baptism if she doesn't ever go to church (even though this was the first Sunday since she had gotten to know the church that she hasn't gone). But then i got a really strong impression to read John 5:22 Which says that god doesn´t judge anybody but he gives all of the judgement to his son Jesus Christ. Even god cant judge us, he doesn't know our capacity to sin or to do good like our savior Jesus Christ does. Then i explained that nobody can be judged or judge in this life, because we are all imperfect. But then we started talking about the atonement and that an essential part of the atonement is forgiveness. If we want to be forgiven of our sins we have to forgive everyone else. 

 By the end of the lesson (that was surprisingly short) Miguel kept remotely quiet and we could tell that he could feel the spirit testifying that what we were saying was true. This week we are going to watch a video called "the mediator" its a really short movie that shoes the way that the savior satisfied the demands of the 2 eternal laws of Justice and Mercy. Our goal is to keep going with them every night so that they can keep feeling the spirit so that it can motivate them to keep going onward. But the part that i liked so much was just that the fact that the spirit was there in their home and that they could feel the difference. We are going to keep up with them every day and we are not going to give up on them. But really that is our single objective as missionaries to bring the spirit into every lesson that we teach. There are many people that don't have the gift of the holy ghost in the world, and the majority of them live their lives in a way that the light of Christ is not able to be with them. But when we come into their homes we bring something that can connect with that light that everyone has. That is the only way that they can be converted by the spirit. If we cant teach in a way that the spirit is their, we are not helping anybody just wasting time. Everything that we do as missionaries is based on that principle. Obedience, daily scripture study, prayer, fasting, everything! we do these things so that we we teach the spirit can testify to those who at this time are still dwindling in unbelief. 

 All of us need to be living our lives in a way that the spirit can be our constant companion. Everybody knows that. But what we dont always realize is that having the spirit is not only to guide and protect ourselves, its to bless the lives of all of those around us. As sons and daughters of god blessed to be in the true church of jesus christ it is our job to be a light to all of those around us. If we dont do it who else will?

 I love you guys so much and i thank you for all of your prayers and support. But dont only pray for me, pray for those that are looking for the light of this gospel and pray for opportunities so that you can find them, its not just the missionaries job to find the people that god is preparing to accept the gospel.

 

I love you all so much and hope you have a fantastic week!

 

Love 

Elder Bever




On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Jim and Sandy Bever <jsbever@molalla.net> wrote:

Hi Thomas,

I'm so sorry to hear you were struggling last week with investigators.  Just keep remembering it’s not you that opens their hearts, but the spirit.  And if their spirit isn’t ready to listen, you can’t force them to change.  If  they’re not ready then that’s all we can do, is open our mouths and tell everyone and then let the Holy Ghost do the rest.  As you were saying, we just need to be in tune to seek out those who are ready to listen and then teach them what you know as you testify of Jesus Christ.  If it’s any comfort, just know that you are in our prayers each morning and night as we ask Heavenly Father to help guide you to those who are in need of the gospel.  It seems the weeks that you are struggling, I am tooJ  But your email last week helped me to realize I need to focus on others and forget about myself.  Sometimes it’s hard, but it’s the only way to cheer us up.  Thank you for being an answer to my prayer! 

 Did you give it anymore thought about your classes?  I sent you a layout last week of pre-business classes for you to take. Let me know if you need another copy.  So I assume when you said you got the shoes, you meant the Sambas and chocolate we sent on your birthday. Not much happened this week but going to the state fair on Labor day.  We say the horse pulling competition which Dad likes, and then the girls and I went on the “swinger” carnival ride which made me a little sick.  Then we saw the Chinese acrobats and the Dog jumping championships.  It was really hot but fun.  Jill and Pete Hewitt were there with their cows so we stopped and talked to them and they gave us free tickets to get in and free parking too!  Pete asks about you.  He’s gone 5 weeks in a row and then is back for a little while.  Maybe you’ll get to see him in Nov. and have him take you flying again.  Well, I love you and hope and pray the very best success for you this week!!!!   Love, MOM

 Hi Thomas!

 This week was pretty good. I am soo happy because the weather has been so good this week. It has been in the 90’s all week but I’m sure your tired of that huh? J nothing much happened though. Today was 9/11 so at school on Friday in one of my classes we watched a video then did some other stuff that was all really nice. Soccer has been nice but its been hot but I’m still glad I get to do it. We have been talking to ethan on the phone and he said that Elder Oaks talked and that it was really good. I still need to take a shower so I have to go. Sorry not much to say this week J

Hope your week was good,

Love,                Audrey!!!

 Hola Tomas,

 “I know its hard yeah its hard to remember sometimes but ya gotta keep your head up whoa then you can let your hair down hey.” Those are some words to a currently popular American song and they popped in my head and I thought they were fitting for this email. I am planning something special for your homecoming but it is a surprise for now. I played in 2 soccer games this week, we lost one 1-3 and won the other 5-1! Well I do not have that much time right now cuz I NEED SLEEP! I just found out that ethan wakes up at 9am everyday at byu and I am SO JEALOUS! I will fill you in on more details next week, love you muchJ 

-Emily

Comments