The Package Came!

 Mon 2/15/2010

I finally got the package all right and it came last Monday
or the Friday before that. The zone leaders go to the mission
office every Tuesday to pick up mail for the rest of the
missionaries. The chocolate and candy was really good and I
gave some of it to the other elders in our house as Valentines,
but I'm probably just going to eat most of them ... haha.
American candy is really expensive here, it's like 2 dollars for
one bar of the Hershey's Cookies and Creme chocolate bars.
Anyway I'm doing fine with the food, and my tan is coming
back really fast too! But you don't need to send me dried fruit
or vitamins, because I can buy those things here. I'm eating
everything that is put in front of me, which is not really that
much of a problem because the food here isn't that different.
The Papusas are really good though. They are like a tortilla (by
the way the tortillas here are really thick here) and they stick
beans and cheese inside the tortilla and then cook it so it's a
really thick tortilla with beans and cheese inside. They are really
good, but every once and a while you need to have American
food. And we have a burger king two blocks down from our
house so I've gone there twice since I've been here.
Make sure that you all can have time to be doing your
scripture study and prayer every morning. It's like an oasis in
your day that you can always go back to.
My new companion is Elder Ayala. He is from Guatemala
and he is way different from Elder Palmer. Elder Palmer was
very obedient and he wasn't prideful about it at. He just led by
example which was good. He wasn't really excited about the
work and he didn't have a chispa (spark) to him; it just seemed
like he was going through the paces. Elder Ayala has that desire
to work and find people. Our goal is at least two new
investigators every day, and he's a super nice guy. So that is
good. But he is really hard to work with in the morning. I am
always able to do my personal study in the morning, but we
hardly ever have time for companionship study or Language
study. We then end up being late for appointments and I end
up having to wait on him every time we leave the house. He
didn't study at all this morning before we left the house, and
because we are late he says we need to walk super fast and I
try to tell him that we wouldn't need to if we left the house on
time. It's just really frustrating because it takes me about 5
minutes every day to cool down so I can have the spirit with me
again.
Anyway, I've been reading in the New Testament lately
and I came upon a scripture that really helped me out with this.
In Matthew 11, Christ is talking to his disciples, and he says in
verses 28-30, "come unto me all ye that are heavily laden and I
will give you rest. I will take upon me your yoke for my burden
is light." That really helped me and I have been trying really
hard to be more humble and relying on the atonement. As a
result, we found a very powerful family next to the house of the
bishop, and the mother said that she was really interested and
wanted to start learning about the church.
She had gone to the church before for an English class
(everybody here wants to learn English), and so we came back
the following day and taught her about the restoration and she
made us lunch. Her name is Roxanna and she's about 30 and
has a daughter about 9 or 10 years old. She is really great and
we have an appointment with her later this week and we are
going to teach the plan of salvation and hopefully set a
baptismal date with her!
But it is families like Roxanna and her daughter that make
it all worth while. That goes for all of you guys too. I always look
forward to your e-mails every week. I love you guys. Quidense y
dios les bendiga ! (Take care and God Bless)

Con Amor (with love),

Elder Bever

Comments